The Darling Home for Kids
More than just beds.
The Darling Home for Kids is a place of joy, filled with the smiles and laughter of children engaging in unique and enriching experiences. Located in Milton, we are a state of the art facility providing respite, palliative and residential care for children who are medically complex, many of whom depend on technology for daily living.
As Ontario’s first paediatric hospice and respite centre, The Darling Home for Kids was built on 77 acres of woodlands to provide essential care to families facing the daily challenges of caring for a child with complex medical needs. Requiring care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the parents of these special children need support. Currently we are one of only three homes in Ontario providing highly specialized paediatric hospice and respite services, and the only home to also offer long-term residential care. This means our organization is truly one-of-a-kind, and in very high demand with more than 15,000 Ontario children requiring this level of care.
The birth of, or discovery that a child has a chronic medical condition has a profound effect on a family. As parents begin the process of continuous, lifelong adjustment, they need social and community supports. At The Darling Home for Kids, medically fragile children receive care in a home-like environment, and families are supported in knowing that there is a continuum of care from respite through to palliation and, when needed, end of life care.
Our mission is to optimize the quality of the lives of children with life-limiting or life-threatening illness requiring complex and/or technology-dependent care. We offer highly qualified nursing and support staff to meet the medical needs of our children, as well as enriching therapeutic programs and activities to help them reach their full potential.
Our vision is to be an oasis of comfort and joy. Comfort in knowing that our special children receive wonderful care in a beautiful, warm environment. Comfort in knowing that their parents are able to take a break from the hard work of being parents of special kids. Joy in visiting the Home and hearing the laughter and seeing the smiles on our children’s faces as they explore new activities unavailable to them elsewhere.
It is our fundamental philosophy that all children be loved and valued, and given the opportunity to be challenged in an environment where they can thrive.
Our home away from home is where love lives and where trust is earned, valued, and reciprocated at all times.
TOP REASONS TO SUPPORT US
- Children with medical complexities have intensive care needs that require unique and specialized services not easily found in other healthcare settings.
- The survival rates of children who are medically fragile and technology dependent result in more demand from families for community based services.
- Due to the significant care demands required, respite support has emerged as one of the more prevalent necessities for families caring for medically complex children. Without effective respite services, the exhaustion faced by these families can result in caregiver burnout.
- Strong families help build strong communities and prosperous economies… a more secure future for us all.
- “We rise by lifting others!” – Robert Ingersoll
Contact Us to Learn More!
5657 15th Side Road, Milton, ON L9E 0C8
Toll Free: 1.877.406.7673
Charitable Registration No. 88852 4840 RR0001
You must be logged in to post a comment.